Thursday, January 29, 2009

Laughter is the best medicine

WARNING: The House is contaminated. I refuse all responsibility for any germs you may get for visiting the House of Payne. We are on round 3 of various viral and/or bacterial infections. The current one appears to be strep, so you might want to go wash your hands after your visit here.

Among the bottles, vials, and boxes of medication that have suddenly appeared in the House (which now bears a frightening resemblance to a pharmacy), Landon brought us the best medicine of all, laughter. Tuesday of this week was his first day back to school in 10 days. Snow canceled school for him all week last week and he doesn't attend on Fridays or Mondays, so he had been out for a while. Apparently, Tuesday didn't go so well for him. Wednesday morning he was whining about having to go to school. After being told at least 5 times he was going to school, the whining turned to crying. Between sobs he choked out a conversation with me that went like this:

Landon: Whyyyyy do I have to go to schoooolll??!
Me: Because it costs money for you to go.
Landon: How do you knooowww???
Me: Because I write a check to your school every month.
Landon: (appalled, sobbing, and angry) You shouldn't do that!!!
Me: (laughing hysterically)
Landon: (crying even harder because now, not only does he have to go to school, but he is being laughed at which is taboo)
Me: (Still giggling) Landon, it doesn't matter how much you cry, you still have to go to school.
Landon: What if I stop crying? Then can I stay home?
Me: (dissolves in laughter)

No wonder I'm not sick. I get a daily dose of this medicine, and it truly is the best medicine of all.

3 comments:

Leeann said...

How totally funny and cute.
Those very stories are the reasons it is great to blog. It is recorded to remember forever!

Leeann

Unknown said...

Hey Lisa, I just got back today from being iced-in at my parents in AR so am catching up on your blog. Had a great visit with my extended family but was ready to see MY kiddos and hubby. Sounds like Landon is a smart boy, ha!

Gina said...

Oh Lisa! You are such a mean mommy! Paying for school... just cruel. Someday he will tell you how much he loved school. I hope your family gets well soon. I'm now going to go disinfect my computer.. just in case.