Thursday, November 6, 2008

Eat Mor Chikin

I had my wisdom teeth removed yesterday. It was surprisingly painless. Really. I was expecting the worst - nausea from the general anesthesia and pain and grogginess lasting for a few days. So I had 3 days' worth of meals prepared for the family ahead of time. Well, that was the plan. When Haley found out I had chicken nuggets planned for tonight, she asked if she could make them herself instead of me making them Tuesday night and Roger reheating them. I thought that was a good plan. Reheated chicken nuggets aren't all that good. I was pretty sure I could manage stove supervision even if I wasn't feeling well. But I feel fine, and I still got out of cooking! Here's how it went:


Haley started out by cutting the chicken into bite-size pieces.




Landon counted the eggs for her. She only needed two, but he had to count how many there were in the carton. He got to crack and beat both eggs for Haley to dip the chicken nuggets in. Then she dredged them in a flour/breadcrumb mixture.


Meanwhile, Erin made fruit salad.



And Alec and Carrie were still doing their homework.


Then things started to break down and Haley and Alec started wrestling.


This makes my face hurt. Aren't we supposed to be cooking dinner and doing homework??




But Landon kisses my boo-boo and sets the process back on track.




Erin and Landon prep the tater tots. They are such good helpers.




And Haley cooks the chicken nuggets.



"Mommy, I don't want any tater tots. I don't want any shicken nuggets. I just want fwuit salad." He's tired. And he has a bruise on his right eyelid. It's a boo-boo from a few days ago.




Moooove over, Chick-fil-A!




Dash waits patiently for something to fall on the floor. Poor doggie.




Ever wonder what a meal for a family this large looks like? Here it is all laid out. I fill the plates, in birth order, on the island and everyone takes their own plate to the table. Plastic for everyone under the age of 12. "Real" dishes for adults & kids 12 and over. Now that's a lot of food! Notice that I got oatmeal. Yum.



Bon Apetit!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I need your recipe for those, I am tired of teh frozen ones with no flavor :-) Glad to knwo your blog address - it's good to "see" you guys!

Unknown said...

Oops on my prev comment - I need spell check!

Leeann said...

Great post! I agree, a recipe would be a nice addition!

One of the things l love about a blog is seeing photos. I think I just saw more photos of your kids than I have seen in YEARS!!!

Seriously!

They are beautiful!

Glad your recovery is going so well. :-)

CarolinaMomOf5 said...

Ok,here's the "recipe." Cut up boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1" pieces. Beat an egg (or 2 if you need it) and put all the chicken pieces in the bowl with the egg. Mix equal amounts of breadcrumbs and flour in a bowl or plastic bag. I think I use more breadcrumbs than flour, but that is personal preference. Put a few chicen pieces at a time into the flour mixture and shake the bag or roll the pieces around in the bowl until they are well coated. Drop the chicken nuggets into a pan of hot oil. Cook and turn as necessary until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper immediately after removing the chicken from the oil. You can put salt and pepper in the flour/breadcrumb mixture, but you're going to have to add more after you cook them anyway, so I like to save the seasoning until the end. There you go - easy peasy lemon squeezy!